- 6 eggs
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups golden rum or 1 cup puncheon
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon minced lime zest
- 1 teaspoon aromatic bitters
Another classic Christmas drink in Trinidad is Ponche De Crème. Or as local Trinis know it, punch-ah-creme It is a milk drink not straying far from what is known as eggnog but with heavy milky overtones. And off course we cant forget what it is mainly known for – the alcohol. Here’s a simple recipe for this popular drink.
- In a medium stainless steel bowl beat eggs with sugar, place into a double boiler, and over simmering water cook eggs until thick and sugar has dissolved. Do not heat the eggs directly to prevent cooking.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and alcohol. Combine the mixture well.
- Add lime zest, aromatic bitters and nutmeg stirring continuously.
- Store in glass bottles and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Serve with crushed ice