- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 bundle callaloo bush, washed & chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 6 medium ochroes, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped pimento
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp. green seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Hot pepper, to taste
Our national dish, callaloo, is representative of Trinidad and Trinis themselves. It embodies our identity- our unity, warmth and strength. This rich soup can stand independently or complement a perfect local Sunday lunch or dinner.
1. Sauté onion, garlic & pepper in heated oil.
2. Add ochro, pimento, carrot, green seasoning, salt, callaloo leaves & coconut milk, mixing together.
3. Bring to a boil, lower heat & cook covered for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.
4. When all ingredients are soft, swizzle to make a smoothe pulp.
5. Adjust salt & pepper. Serve alone or with rice.
Add 2 cleaned crabs, cut in halves, to the mixture in step 2.